DNA from dust: comparative genomics of large DNA viruses in field surveillance samples
Pandey U, Bell AS, Renner D, Kennedy DA, Shreve J, Cairns CL, Jones MJ, Dunn PA, Read AF, Szpara ML – mSphere [PDF]
- Public repository for data from this paper: https://scholarsphere.psu.edu/collections/1544bp14j
Viral forensic genomics reveals the relatedness of classic herpes simplex virus strains KOS, KOS63, and KOS79
Bowen CD, Renner DW, Shreve JT, Tafuri Y, PayneKM, Dix RD, Kinchington PR, Gatherer D, Szpara ML – Virology (Elsevier) [PDF]
Differentiation of the SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cell line
Shipley MM, Mangold CA, Szpara ML – Journal of Visualized Experiments [PDF] [Movie]
VirAmp: A Galaxy-based viral genome assembly pipeline
Wan Y, Renner DW, Albert I, Szpara ML – GigaScience [PDF]
Rapid genome assembly and comparison decodes intra-strain variation in human alpha-herpesviruses
Parsons LR, Tafuri YR, Shreve JT, Bowen CD, Shipley MM, Enquist LW, Szpara ML – mBio [PDF]
- How-to documentation for VirGA: http://virga.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
- Code repository for VirGA: https://bitbucket.org/szparalab
- A freely-accessible Virtual Machine (VM) that can run VirGA: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szsnelelpbs4qip/AAAohfvHWBGG_HMLL6pJgmTca?dl=0
- Public repository for data used in this paper: https://scholarsphere.psu.edu/collections/sf268c193
Genome sequence of the anterograde-spread defective herpes simplex virus 1 strain MacIntyre
Szpara ML, Tafuri YR, Parsons L, Shreve JT, Engel EA, Enquist LW – Genome Announcements [PDF]
Isolation of Herpes Simplex Virus Nucleocapsid DNA
ML Szpara – Meth Molec Biol [PDF]
Evolution and diversity in human herpes simplex virus genomes
ML Szpara, D Gatherer, A Ochoa, B Greenbaum, A Dolan, RJ Bowden, LW Enquist, M Legendre, AJ Davison – Journal of virology [PDF]
- Data website: http://szparalab.psu.edu/hsv-diversity/
Herpes simplex virus 1 pUL34 plays a critical role in cell-to-cell spread of virus in addition to its role in virus replication
AC Haugo, ML Szpara, L Parsons, LW Enquist, RJ Roller – Journal of virology [PDF]
A wide extent of inter-strain diversity in virulent and vaccine strains of alphaherpesviruses
ML Szpara, YR Tafuri, L Parsons, SR Shamim, KJ Verstrepen, M Legendre, LW Enquist – PLoS Pathogens [PDF]
- Data website: http://viro-genome.princeton.edu/PRV
- How-to documentation: http://genomics-pubs.princeton.edu/prv/
Sequence variability in clinical and laboratory isolates of herpes simplex virus 1 reveals new mutations
ML Szpara, L Parsons, LW Enquist – Journal of virology [PDF] [Data website]
- Data website: http://viro-genome.princeton.edu/HSV
A common neuronal response to alphaherpesvirus infection
ML Szpara, O Kobiler, LW Enquist – Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology [PDF]
Fluorescence-based monitoring of in vivo neural activity using a circuit-tracing pseudorabies virus
AE Granstedt, ML Szpara, B Kuhn, SS Wang, LW Enquist – PLoS One [PDF]
Compartmented neuron cultures for directional infection by alpha herpesviruses
D Curanović, TH Ch’ng, M Szpara, L Enquist – Current Protocols in Cell Biology [PDF]
Analysis of gene expression during neurite outgrowth and regeneration
ML Szpara, K Vranizan, YC Tai, CS Goodman, TP Speed, J Ngai – BMC neuroscience [PDF]
Regulation of pontine neurite morphology by target-derived signals
SK Hansen, ML Szpara, TA Serafini – Molecular brain research [PDF]
- The lab will be represented at the ASM Microbe meeting in New Orleans, with posters presented by Utsav Pandey (grad student) & Kokila Shankar (senior undergraduate). Kokila will be participating in the Microbiology Academy for Professional Development (MAPD) Workshop at ASM, as part of her winning a 2016 ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship.
– Our two senior undergraduates, Kokila Shankar & Chris Sharkey, have finished their Bachelor’s degrees! Kokila will be heading to graduate school and Chris to computational data science at Microsoft. Congratulations on your honors thesis Kokila (first in the lab!) and your computational manuscript draft Chris!
- Moriah Szpara gave a talk at the 9th Workshop in Virus Evolution, on our collaboration with Nancy Sawtell (Cincinnati Children’s Hospital) & Rick Thompson (University of Cinncinnati), which also involves Utsav Pandey & Daniel Renner.
- Molly Rathbun joins the lab as our newest graduate student, from the BMMB graduate program. Molly has a background in forensics. Congratulations to Molly for being selected for the CBIOS Training Grant program!
- Utsav’s paper on the capture and comparison of herpesvirus genomes from dust and feather has been accepted at mSphere. Congratulations to Utsav, Daniel, Andy Bell, David Kennedy, and the team from the Read lab that contributed to this accomplishment!
– Colleen Mangold received a fellowship from the American Heart Association! She will be one of the Great Rivers Affiliate Winter 2016 Postdoctoral Fellows, with a two year award. Our colleagues Tony Huang, David Hughes, and Stephen Benkovic contributed to the process as co-sponsors. Congratulations Colleen!
– Chad Kuny joined the lab as a postdoc, bringing his expertise with beta-herpesviruses and more recently in RNA virology. Welcome Chad!
– Utsav gave a talk at the MCIBS and Pathobiology Summer Retreat, sharing his MDV genomics research with the new recruits.
- Moriah Szpara was an invited speaker at the FASEB meeting on “Virus Structure and Assembly” from July 24‐29, in Colorado. Kudos to our colleague Rebecca Craven for her part in co-organizing this meeting.
– Moriah Szpara presented Utsav’s research on MDV genome surveillance in the field, at the 11th International Symposium on Marek’s Disease and Avian Herpesviruses in France.
- Mackenzie Shipley presented a short talk on her new research on herpesvirus infection of human neurons at the University of Pennsylvania symposium entitled Herpesviruses: Pathogenesis and Cancer on June 24. This year’s symposium honored the career of our colleague Dr. Jim Alwine.
- Moriah Szpara chaired the 35th Annual Summer Symposium in Molecular Biology at the University Park campus, on the topic of Living with our Viromes. Kudos to all the lab members who chaired sessions, presented posters, hosted speakers and attendees, and helped make this a great event! The symposium took place May 24-25, 2016.
– Congratulations to our undergraduate researcher Apoorva Talanki, on her recent graduation from Penn State!
- Congratulations to Kokila Shankar, on winning a 2016 ASM Undergraduate Research Fellowship! This will support her summer research project, and attendance of the ASM Microbe meeting next year.
– The lab enjoyed a great day of cross-campus virology at the 2nd Penn State Intercampus Virology (PSIV) meeting. Over 60 people from labs spanning the University Park and Hershey College of Medicine campuses gathered for a day of science, networking, and talks by trainees. Colleen Mangold launched the day with her talk on acoustofluidics.
- Utsav Pandey reprised his MDV talk at the 2015 Northeastern Conference on Avian Diseases (NECAD).
- Mackenzie Shipley successfully completed her comprehensive exam as a BMMB graduate student! Congratulations!
– Utsav Pandey, Mackenzie Shipley, Daniel Renner, & Moriah Szpara present new data at the International Herpesvirus Workshop (IHW) in Boise, ID. In addition to our four posters, Mackenzie’s abstract was selected for a travel award, and Utsav gave a talk in the Veterinary Herpesvirus Satellite Workshop.
– Utsav Pandey successfully completed his comprehensive exam as a BMMB graduate student! Congratulations!
- Utsav Pandey and Mackenzie Shipley give talks at the inaugural PSU Intercampus Virology meeting, at the Penn State Hershey campus. Nicely done! The meeting on June 9 was organized by our colleagues John Wills & Becky Craven. The next one will be in November 2016 at the University Park campus.
– Utsav Pandey gives his first public research talk at a University of Pennsylvania symposium entitled Herpesviruses: Pathogenesis and Cancer on June 2. This year’s symposium honored the career of our colleague Dr. Nigel Fraser.
– Welcome to our newest undergraduate members of the lab: Kokila Shankar & Apoorva Talanki!
– Congrats to our undergrads Nathan Arnett & Chris Sharkey on landing great summer interships. Nathan will be at the University of Pittsburgh Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP), and Chris has an internship at Humana.
- Moriah Szpara gave a talk at the 8th Workshop in Virus Evolution.
– Our latest research is published in mBio — a lovely story about sister clones of various HSV strains. The early stages of this project involved Lance Parsons and Yoly Tafuri, in Lynn Enquist’s lab at Princeton. The research was brought to fruition with the help of several members of the new team at PSU — Jacob Shreve, Chris Bowen & Mackenzie Shipley. Nice teamwork!
- Daniel Renner joins the lab as a computational scientist & bioinformatics specialist. Welcome Daniel!
– Nathan Arnett wins a 2014-2015 ECoS Undergraduate Research Support Award.
- Yinan Wan, our collaborator in Istvan Albert’s group, completes the oral defense of her master’s thesis.
- Colleen Mangold joins the lab as a postdoctoral researcher, brining her expertise in neurobiology, aging, and pharmacology. Welcome Colleen!
- Moriah & Chris Bowen present a poster at the 39th Annual International Herpesvirus Workshop (IHW) in Japan.
– Jacob Shreve becomes our first lab alum, as he leaves to attend medical school at Indiana University School of Medicine.
- Moriah and other health researchers at Penn State build bridges with Penn State’s new visualization wall.
– PSU News carries Huck Institutes Seth Palmer’s article about our recent publication in the Journal of Virology.
- Chuck Grose comments in Journal of Virology about our recent paper. He begins, “An unintended consequence of phylogenetics is that it provides answers to questions that investigators were unaware they needed to ask.…”
– Latest publication: “Evolution and Diversity in Human Herpes Simplex Virus Genomes” goes online at Journal of Virology.
– Jacob Shreve joins the lab as Computational Scientist and bioinformatics specialist. Welcome Jacob!
– Huck Institutes writer Seth Palmer profiles Szpara Lab research.
– Chris Bowen joins the lab as Research Technologist and lab manager. Welcome Chris!
- Beginning of the Szpara Lab at PSU
Penn State News, Cosmos, etc. (April 2016)
The Scientist (April 2014)
Penn State News (February 2014)
Huck Institutes News (February 2014)
BMB News (March 2013)